My "Slice of Life" Tuesday (which became Wednesday)

As I begin the school year, I am reminded to be mindful; to take time to just breathe.  The lists on my desk, phone, and computer continue to grow with each passing day as I prepare for students to return to my classroom.  It is easy to get overwhelmed. It is easy to become bogged down. Ready or not, students will come, bringing with them the same excitement and anxiety that we as teachers feel during those first weeks back.

As I plow through the perpetual "to do" list that seems like a mobius strip, it feels like I am running around, constantly going back to the same place.  But I realize that all of those 'things' I feel are important are NOT important to students. Inhale, exhale....just breathe after I just spent a summer planning, laminating, copying, researching, reading, prepping, training, and on and on and on. Those things are important, but not as important as connecting and building relationships with students. While that laminated poster may last a year on the wall, your relationships with students can last a lifetime.

I was reminded of this as students came during our recent open house to see their room and say hello to their teacher after a full day of in-service and preparations.  The looming "to do" list nagging me from the cabinet as I prepared to make a first impression and set the tone for the year in the midst of feeling overwhelmed. However,nothing will stop my "mindful minute" to remember why I am here...for students...inhale....exhale...THEY are the reason I teach!


A journey begins...again!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My "Slice of Life" Tuesday